This is the 12th recipe that I am sharing on the cooking segment of my blog. I hope you have been enjoying it so far.
Today I want to share my recipe for Chicken Pot Pie. I usually make this recipe when I have leftover chicken from a roasting chicken. I like to have a different kind of meal with the leftover chicken. It can get boring having the leftovers without spicing them up a little.
I make my own pie crust (one crust for top only) and add frozen veggies unless you have fresh. My family love my crust when I make apple pie. This is the same crust for the chicken pot pie. It is delicious! Once you have homemade crust you will not want to eat store bought crust again! I hope you enjoy this recipe. My husband requested it and I always aim to please him. He is a hard worker not only on my books but also around the house, fixing and making improvements all the time. Thanks to John for snapping all these photos of me in action!
Here are the other recipes I have featured in the previous posts: Beef and Broccoli with Wine, Zucchini Bread, Zucchini Italiano, Grapenut Custard, Spinach Pita Pizza, Portuguese Seafood Stew, Marinated Mushrooms, Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms, Chicken Marsala, and Rice Paper Veggie Shrimp Wraps. In the past I have also shared recipes for Portuguese Bisquits and Drunken Chicken.
This is a quick recipe except for the crust but don’t tell your family how easy it is. It will looked like you slaved over the stove. They will love it too!
Ingredients: for Roux
- Leftover chicken pieces (I use only white meat.)
- Chicken stock 2 cups (I make mine by boiling the bones of the leftover chicken.)
- Peas and carrots frozen and/or green beans
- Salt & pepper
- Garlic power and onion power to taste use chopped onions
- 1-2 Tbs butter
- 1-2 Tbs Arrowroot to thicken roux (the more stock you use you need to adjust this arrowroot to thicken more)
Directions: for Roux
- Debone chicken and set aside
- Boil bones in water in medium saucepan until boiling
- Add salt & pepper, garlic powder and onion powder or half an onion to water
- Remove bones, fat and skin from saucepan
- Melt butter in saucepan
- Add 1-2 Tbs arrowroot to butter and mix together
- Add two cups of chicken broth to arrowroot and butter and stir together until thickened
- Add chopped chicken and peas and carrots and/or green beans and mix together and shut off heat
- Keep this roux covered until ready to add to crust
Ingredients for Crust
- 1 1/2 Cups flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/3 Cup shortening (Crisco butter flavor)
- 4-5 Tbs cold water
Directions: for Crust
- In a medium bowl stir together flour and salt
- Using a pastry blender cut shortening until pea-size pieces
- Add 1 Tbs of cold water to flour and mix until all dough is moistened
- On lightly floured board place dough and slightly flatten dough into round or square shape (depending upon which size container you will use to hold pot pie)
- Roll out dough into desired shape
- Put chicken and roux into the dish and cover with dough and cut a couple of slits in crust to vent
- Trim extra dough on edges or crimp together between your thumb and forefinger.
- Bake in 375 degree oven for 35-40 minutes or until crust is golden brown
- Or on the grill as I did this time for 20 minutes (it cooks faster on the grill)
I hope you try this recipe with your leftover chicken some night. I’m sure the whole family will love it. Serve with a side salad. Of course if you don’t want to make your own crust you can use store bought frozen crust already in a pie plate. I think the crust is the best part of this recipe!
Come back again real soon for more tasty recipes from Janice Kitchen Corner! Happy cooking and eating everyone!
Thank you so much, readers, for stopping by to read this post. I appreciate your kind support of my blog and books. Please read to your children daily to help foster a love of reading in them and thus giving them Wings to Fly! Reading is Fun and Good for Your Health! Please leave reviews for books that you enjoy wherever you purchased the books. Your reviews will enable others to enjoy the books too. Thank you so much!
A very special THANK YOU to all my new followers! I love having you visit! Please keep coming back. There will be plenty more to enjoy, books, food, tales about my fish and birds that we feed and whatever else pops into my already overcrowded brain!
REMEMBER: READING GIVES YOU WINGS TO FLY! SOAR WITH JEMSBOOKS.COM ALL YEAR THROUGH! HAPPY READING! Jemsbooks are available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble and by clicking on covers to the right of this post. Thank you for your kind support and reviews of my books.
Blessings & Hugs! Stay Safe, Stay Well and God Bless!
Jemsbooks for All Ages!
AMAZON.COM AUTHOR PAGE