This is the eighth installment of Janice’s Kitchen Corner.
Now that our zucchini plant is producing some beautiful vegetables I have been coming up with my recipes – Zucchini Italiano (with sauce and cheese) and Zucchini Bread. Today I will share the zucchini with sauce since that is what we are having tonight with our meal as I write this. I promised to share the Zucchini Bread next time though. They are both easy and delicious. I love easy and delicious recipes. Don’t you?
Here are the other recipes Grapenut Custard, Spinach Pita Pizza, Portuguese Seafood Stew, Marinated Mushrooms, Stuffed Portobello Mushrooms, Chicken Marsala, and Rice Paper Veggie Shrimp Wraps. In the past I have also shared recipes for Portuguese Bisquits and Drunken Chicken.
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 T chopped onion
- 1-2 chopped or minced cloves of garlic
- 1 can crushed or diced tomatoes (large can for more than 1 zucchini (I use the small can for 1 zucchiniI)
- Sprinkle of basil and oregano (or use a few fresh leaves of both)
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Dash or two of red pepper flakes (more if you like it hot and spicy)
- Splash or more of red wine
- 1 or more zucchini sliced into 3/4” – 1” slices with skin on
- In two tablespoons of olive oil in small to medium saucepan (depending on how much you are making) brown onion and garlic until translucent.
- Add crushed or diced tomatoes
- Add salt, pepper and pepper flakes, basil and oregano
- Simmer sauce until piping hot and ingredients are thoroughly blended (20 min – 1/2 hour)
- Shut off heat and add sliced zucchini and cover. Let sit for 8-10 minutes (squash will cook slightly but not get mushy.
- Serve right away as a side dish or as a main dish over pasta
- Grate Parmigiana or Romano cheese over serving
Note: Zucchini will continue to cook the longer you leave it in the pan or if you reheat for leftovers. I like mine still with a little bite and not mushy. You can add zucchini to heated sauce just before you are ready to eat for more crunch.
My husband makes all the Italian food in our home. He made the sauce and I added the zucchini (a collaboration).
I hope you enjoy this easy and delicious way to serve zucchini and that this dish becomes one of your favorites. Your kids will even eat zucchini now! Stay tuned for another recipe from Janice’s Kitchen Corner! Happy cooking and eating everyone!
Thank you so much for your stopping by to read this post. I hope you enjoyed it and will come back again real soon. Thank you also for your kind support of me, my books and blog and for all the reviews you may have posted wherever my books are sold. Take care.
Blessings & Hugs! Stay Safe, Stay Well and God Bless!
READING GIVES YOU WINGS TO FLY! SOAR WITH JEMSBOOKS ALL YEAR THROUGH! HAPPY READING!
Jemsbooks for All Ages!
AMAZON.COM AUTHOR PAGE (All books)